Florida's Comprehensive Historic Preservation Plan
- Preserving Florida's Heritage—More Than Orange Marmalade
- Overview of Florida's Pre-History & History
- Planning in Florida, A Public Policy
- Preservation Partners
- Florida's Resources, An Assessment
- How This Plan was Developed
- Goals, Objectives, and Suggested Strategies
- A Brief Timeline of Florida History
- Bibliography and Other Resources
Florida's Comprehensive Historic Preservation Plan 2012–2016
Bibliography and Other Resources
Bureau of Economic and Business Research, College of Business Administration. University of Florida. 2010 Florida Statistical Abstract. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2010.
Community Planning Act. Florida Statutes, 2011 Chapter 139. http://laws.flrules.org/2011/139.
Davis, T. Frederick. History of Juan Ponce de Leon's Voyages to Florida, Source Records. Jacksonville, Florida: n.p., ca.1935.
"Disaster Manual' a Winner!" Foresight, Quarterly Newsletter of 1000 Friends of Florida. Vol. 18, Number 1 (Spring 2005):13.
Economic Impacts of Historic Preservation in Florida. Prepared for the Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources. Prepared by Center for Governmental Responsibility, University of Florida College of Law and the Center for Urban Policy Research, Rutgers University, the Florida FCT for Historic Preservation, 2010.
Estabrook, Richard, RPA; Dr. Amy Mitchell Cook; and Dr. Della Scott-Ireton, RPA, Dr. William B. Lees, RPA, Principal Investigator. "Local Government Preservation Program Directory." Prepared for the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation by the Florida Public Archaeology Network, Pensacola, Florida, 2007. Available online www.flpublicarchaeology.org/documents/LGPPD%20FINAL%20REPORT%20revision%201.pdf (accessed 11/28/2011).
Ewen, Charles R. and John H. Hann. Hernando De Soto among the Apalachee: the Archaeology of the First Winter Encampment. Gainesville: University Press of Florida,1998.
"First Annual Report on the Economic Impact of the Federal Historic Tax Credit." Prepared for the Historic Tax Credit Coalition by the Center for Urban Policy Research, Rutgers University, March 2010, www.preservationnation.org/issues/communityrevitalization/jobs/Rutgers-Report.pdf.
Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Office of Environmental Services, Division of State Lands. Florida Forever Five Year Plan, May 2011, www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/FFAnnual/FINAL%20REPORT%20FF%20-%20May2011.pdf.
Florida Department of State. Long-Range Program Plan Fiscal Year 2011–2016, http://floridafiscalportal.state.fl.us/PDFDoc.aspx?ID=3471.
_____. Florida Tourism and Historic Sites: a study sponsored by Florida Department of State, Florida Department of Natural Resources, Florida Department of Commerce, and the National FCT for Historic Preservation. Tallahassee, 1988.
Friends of Florida Main Street, Inc., compiler. 25th Anniversary Florida Main Street. Winter Haven, FL: Citibooks Promotion Magazine, 2010.
Historic Preservation Fund Grants Manual. Chapter 6 Grant Assisted Program Activities, Section G. Historic Preservation Planning Program Area, October 1997.
Hubbard, Valerie J. "Florida's New ‘Community Planning Act.'" ICSC Legal Update Extra (August 2011), www.icsc.org/pub/legal_update_extra/0811_legalUpdateExtra.pdf.
Johnston, Sidney. Florida Historic Black Public Schools, National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form. Prepared for the Florida Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State, 2003. Manuscript #12406, Florida Master Site File.
Johnston, Sidney and Myles Bland. Florida Historic Black Public Schools, National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form (Amended). Prepared by Bland & Associates, Inc., for the Florida Division of Historical Resources, Florida Department of State, 2011. Manuscript #18755, Florida Master Site File.
Lambin, Jeanne M., compiler. "Public Workshop: Evaluating Cultural Resources from the Recent Past in Florida," a workshop held at the University of Florida, Gainesville, November 6–9, 2009.
Mahon, John K. History of the Second Seminole War, 1835–1842. Revised Edition. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1985.
"More Than Orange Marmalade—A Statewide Comprehensive Historic Preservation Plan For Florida." September 1996.
Morris, Allen Covington and Joan Lee Perry LeRoy Morris. The Florida Handbook. Tallahassee, Florida: The Peninsular Publishing Company, 2011.
National Park Service, "Fort Matanzas National Monument: The American Period (1821–Present)," www.nps.gov/foma/historyculture/am-period.htm
National Park Service "Fort Matanzas National Monument: the Restoration of Fort Matanzas," www.nps.gov/foma/historyculture/preservation.htm
Rypkema, Donovan D. The Economics of Historic Preservation: A Community Leader's Guide. Washington, D.C.: National Trust for Historic Preservation, 2005.
_____. "Sustainability and Historic Preservation," an article containing excerpts from Donovan D. Rypkema's presentation, "Sustainability, smart Growth and Historic Preservation," given at the Historic Districts Council Annual Conference in New York City, on March 10, 2007. Accessed online July 29, 2011 at www.preservation.org/rypkema.htm.
Seminole Geography: Using GIS as a tool for Tribal Historic Preservation Offices, Presentation at the 2008 ESRI International User Conference, San Diego, California http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc08/papers/papers/pap_1161.pdf
State Comprehensive Plan. Florida Statutes, 2010 Chapter 187.
Tebeau, Charlton W. A History of Florida. Coral Gables: University of Miami Press, 1971.
"¡Viva Florida!: Marking 500 years of Spanish heritage," Forum, the Magazine of the Florida Humanities Council, Vol. XXXV, No. 3, Fall 2011.
Best Management Practices: An Owner's Guide to Protecting Archaeological Sites, Florida Department of State, Division of Historical Resources, Bureau of Archaeological Research, Tallahassee, 2000.
Cariseo, Mary Kay, "Wealth Is Created Locally." Florida Counties November/December 2000: 6.
Cothran, Hank; David Mulkey; and Mary Helen Blakeslee. "Assistance of Florida's Rural Communities: The Rural Economic Development Initiative," University of Florida. Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences. Web Site: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FE426.
Daniel, Christopher. "Have You Been Friended? Social Networking Sites and Preservation Commissions," The Alliance Review (January–February 2010): 8–10.
Donaldson, Milford Wayne. "Get Youth Involved to Build a Better Preservation Ethic—and Nation," The Alliance Review (May–June 2011): 6–9.
Florida's Heritage Resource Directory 2001, Florida FCT for Historic Preservation, Inc., Tallahassee, 2001.
Florida Tourism Industry Marketing Corporation. In It to Win It: Florida Tourism 1997–1998 Marketing Plan 1997.
Jenkins Appraisal Services, Inc. A Summary Report Concerning the Impact of Landmarking on Residential Property Values, Palm Beach, Florida. West Palm Beach, 1997.
McGlone, Ann. "Saving a Threatened Resource: Ten Essential Lessons," The Alliance Review (July–August 2007): 10–13.
Meeks, Stephanie K. "Sustaining the Future." National Trust for Historic Preservation, May 16, 2011
National Alliance of Preservation Commissions. The Alliance Review, special issues:
Partnerships for Powerful Preservation (September–October 2008)
Demolition by Neglect (May–June 2007)
Education a& Outreach: Proactive Preservation (July–August 2007) and (May–June 2011)
National Trust for Historic Preservation, compiler. Responding to the Economic Downturn issue of Forum Journal (Summer 2009, Vol. 23, No. 04.).
National Trust for Historic Preservation, compiler. Positioning Preservation in a Green World issue of Forum Journal (Spring 2009, Vol. 23, No. 03).
Patterson, Stacy. "Education and Outreach Planning for Preservation Commissions," The Alliance Review (July–August 2007): 4–9.
Post, Kerri L., "Tourism Works For All Of Florida." Florida Counties November/December 2000: 8–11.
Starr, Eileen. "Tax Increment Financing: A Cautionary Tale," The Alliance Review (January–February 2010): 4–6.
Terrick, Dawn "Heritage Tourism—Reaping Rewards from the Past." Preservation Today Spring 2001, Dade Heritage FCT, Miami, Florida, 2001.
Florida Office of Cultural and Historical Programs (with links to the Division of Historical Resources and the Bureau of Historic Preservation)
FLORIDA'S HISTORICAL CONTEXTS
MULTIPLE PROPERTY SUBMISSION COVERS
- Archeological Properties of the Naval Live Oaks Reservation MPS (#6251) (NPS #64500092)
- Archaeological Resources in the Upper St. Johns River Valley MPS (#3896) (NPS #64500093)
- Archaeological Resources of Everglades National Park MPS (#6968) (NPS #64500094)
- Archaeological Resources of the Eighteenth-Century Smyrnea Settlement of Dr. Andrew Turnbull, Volusia County, Florida MPS (#10055) (NPS #645000988)
- Caloosahatchee Culture of Southwest Florida, 500 BC–AD 1750 MPS (#3897) (NPS #64500095)
- 1733 Spanish Plate Fleet Shipwrecks MPS (#13596) (NPS #64500947)
- Southern Florida Sites Associated with the Tequesta and Their Ancestors National Historic Landmark/National Register Theme Study (#18688) (NPS http://www.nps.gov/nhl/themes/themes-allnew.htm)
Thematic or Property Types
- Citrus Industry Resources of Theodore Strawn, Inc. MPS (#6275) (NPS #64500097)
- Civil War Era National Cemeteries MPS (federal MPS) or (#19156) (NPS #64500098)
- Clubhouses of Florida's Woman's Clubs MPS (#5068) (NPS# 64500099)
- Early Residences of Rural Marion County MPS (#4282, #6286) (NPS# 64500103)
- Fish Cabins of Charlotte Harbor MPS (#6290) (NPS #64500105)
- Florida's Carpenter Gothic Churches (#6272) (NPS #64500106)
- Florida's Historic Black Public Schools MPS (#12406, #18755) (NPS #64500852)
- Florida's Historic Lighthouses MPS (#9541) (NPS #64500824)
- Light Stations in the United States, 1789–1952 MPS (#17912) (NPS-prepared)
- Florida's Historic Railroad Resources MPS (#6289) (NPS #64500107)
- Florida's Historic World War II Military Resources MPS (#6447) (NPS #64500773)
- Florida's New Deal Resources MPS (#11495) (NPS #64500918)
- Historic Schools of the Lakeland Special Tax School District MPS (#8038)
- Historic Winter Residences of Ormond Beach, 1878–1925 MPS (#6285) (NPS #64500109)
- John F. Kennedy Space Center MPS (#11239) (NPS #64500111)
- Mediterranean Revival Style Buildings of Davis Islands MPS (#1579) (NPS #64500118)
- Rural Resources of Leon County, 1821–1945 MPS (#3658) (NPS #64500124)
- Sarasota School of Architecture MPS (#15045) (NPS #64500972)
- Tarpon Springs Sponge Boats MPS (#14544) (NPS #64500126)
Local Areas (By location, not exact titles)
- Bartow, 1882–1941 MPS (#6284) (NPS #64500096)
- Daytona Beach MPS (#6262) (NPS #64500100)
- DeFuniak Springs MPS (#19158) (NPS #64500101)
- Downtown Jacksonville MPS (#6282) (NPS #64500102)
- Downtown Miami MRA (#1085) (NPS #64000115)
- Fellsmere MPS (#6271) (NPS #64500104)
- Haines City MPS (#6287) (NPS #64500108)
- Homestead MPS (#11616) (NPS #6450110)
- Jacksonville, San Jose Estates Thematic Resource (#19163) (NPS #64000119)
- Kissimmee MPS (#3898) (NPS #64500112)
- LaBelle MPS (#19162) (NPS #64500828)
- Lake City MPS (#3899) (NPS #64500113)
- Lake Helen MPS (#6288) (NPS #64500114)
- Lake Wales MPS (#6278) (NPS #64500115)
- Lee County MPS (#4292) (NPS #64500116)
- Leon County, Rural Resources of MPS (#3658) (NPS #64500124)
- Marianna MPS (#6268) (NPS #64500117)
- Marion County, Early Residences of Rural Marion County MPS (#4282, #6286) (NPS# 64500103)
- Miami Beach, North Beach Community (1919–1963) MPS (#15779) (NPS #64501022)
- Miami, Biscayne Boulevard, 1925–1937 Thematic Group (#14744)
- Miami Shores Thematic Resources (#3712) (NPS #64000116)
- Miami Springs, Country Club Estates Thematic Resources (#19160) (NPS #64000114)
- Middleburg MPS (#6279) (NPS #64500119)
- Mount Dora MPS (#16478) (NPS #64501043)
- Opa-Locka Thematic Resources (#19164) (NPS #64000117)
- Orange City MPS (#12407) (NPS #64500881)
- Orange Park MPS (#6270) (NPS #64500120)
- Punta Gorda MPS (#6280) (NPS #64500122)
- Rockledge MPS (#6281) (NPS #64500123)
- Sarasota, City of MRA (#6276) (NPS #64000120)
- Sebring MRA (#6277) (NPS #64500125)
- Tampa Heights, 1886–1933 MPS (#13776)
- Titusville MPS (#6283) (NPS #64500127)
- University of Florida Campus MPS (#15358) (NPS #64501011)
- Venice MPS (#4276) (NPS #64500128)
- Whitfield Estates Subdivision MPS (#19161) (NPS #64500129)
- Winter Haven MPS (#10142) (NPS #64500130)
These covers are available as downloads from the Florida Master Site File as indicated by (#), and from the National Register of Historic Places database, as indicated by (NPS #). The Florida Master Site File also contains survey reports and Florida National Register nominations, all of which contain historical contexts for the individual communities. To request any of these items, call 850.245.6440 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FLORIDA HERITAGE TRAIL PUBLICATIONS
- Florida Black Heritage Trail
- Florida Civil War Heritage Trail
- Florida Cuban Heritage Trail (in English/Spanish)
- Florida Jewish Heritage Trail
- Florida Native American Heritage Trail
- Florida Spanish Colonial Heritage Trail (in English/Spanish)
- Florida Women's Heritage Trail
- Florida World War II Heritage Trail
- 1733 Spanish Galleon Trail
- Florida Certified Local Government Program
- Florida Folklife Program
- Florida Main Street Program
- Florida Trust for Historic Preservation
- Mission San Luis
- Museum of Florida History
- Panhandle Shipwreck Trail
- VIVA Florida 500