Resources for Teachers
Teacher's Guide, Lesson plans, Vocabulary, and other resources by grade level
Whether used to enhance your visit to Mission San Luis or to enrich your current curriculum, our education department has developed lesson plans and provide other tools to help you navigate Florida history and meet the Next Generation Sunshine State Standards in and out of the classroom. Click on the links below to find lesson plans and other grade specific resources.
Mission San Luis is a proud member of the Community Classroom Consortium (CCC):
The CCC is a coalition of more than 30 cultural, scientific, natural history, and civic organizations in north Florida and South Georgia. One of their signature programs is providing grants to area teachers.
Next Generation Sunshine State Standards:
- SS.3.E.1.1: Give examples of how scarcity results in trade.
- SS.3.E.1.3: Recognize that buyers and sellers interact to exchange goods and services through the use of trade or money.
- SS.3.G.4.2: Identify the cultures that have settled the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.
- LA.184.108.40.206: The student will use new vocabulary that is introduced and taught directly.
- SS.4.A.3.1: Identify explorers who came to Florida and the motivations for their expeditions.
- SS.4.A.3.2: Describe causes and effects of European colonization on the Native American tribes of Florida.
- SS.4.A.3.4: Explain the purpose of and daily life on missions (San Luis de Talimali in present-day Tallahassee).
- SS.4.A.3.6: Identify the effects of Spanish rule in Florida. SS.4.A.3.7: Identify nations (Spain, France, and England) that controlled Florida before it became a United States territory.
- LA.220.127.116.11: The student will use new vocabulary that is introduced and taught directly.
- LA.18.104.22.168: The student will listen attentively to speakers and takes notes as needed to ensure accuracy of information.
- LA.22.214.171.124: The student will ask questions of speaker, using appropriate tone and eye contact.
- SS.5.A.3.1: Describe technological developments that shaped European exploration.
- SS.5.A.3.2: Investigate (nationality, sponsoring country, motives, dates and routes of travel, accomplishments) the European explorers.
- SS.5.A.3.3: Describe interactions among Native Americans, Africans, English, French, Dutch, and Spanish for control of North America.
- SS.5.A.4.1: Identify the economic, political and socio-cultural motivation for colonial settlement.
- LA.126.96.36.199: The student will use new vocabulary that is introduced and taught directly.
- FL.D.2.2: The student recognizes that cultures have different patterns of interaction and applies this knowledge to his or her own culture.
* PDF Requirement: Adobe Reader is required to access documents being provided to you in PDF format. The basic Adobe Reader software is available for free directly from adobe.com.