Funds from the endowment will be used to expand the reach of our education and research programs throughout the state and nation.
Mission San Luis is the only reconstructed mission in the Southeast. We want to share the story of the Florida missions with people of all ages and from all walks of life, and are in a unique position to do so.
This is the most thoroughly researched mission in Spanish Florida. Yet we’ve only scratched the surface, and its potential remains immense.
At Mission San Luis, education and research programs are inextricably connected; scholarly investigations inform all aspects of site interpretation and outreach.
Mission San Luis is a wonderful place to explore the past through hands-on activities, living history, and archaeology.
We plan to…
- Ensure that all audiences—school children, tourists, and scholars alike—gain an accurate and meaningful appreciation of Florida’s Native American and Hispanic heritage.
- Continue the search through historical records and archaeological evidence that will help all of us to better comprehend the legacy of this special place and time in colonial history.
- Support including the role of Florida’s missions in shaping our state’s history and culture as part of the curriculum in Florida schools.
- Reach out and take Mission San Luis on the road. Because everyone cannot visit this National Historic Landmark site, we plan to take the mission’s message to them.
- Succeed—with your help—in illuminating Florida’s important role in America’s rich and diverse history.
- These are only a few of our immediate program goals for the site. If you would like to learn more about what the future holds for Mission San Luis, we will be pleased to share our ideas and dreams with you.