Name Origins of Florida Places @ Florida OCHP

City Name Origins
(Click on letter that corresponds with city name)

/ Click Here for County Name Origins /

    Continued I-P

- I -

Indian Rocks Beach, Pinellas County -- A number of large rocks along the shore gave the community its name.

Inverness, Citrus County -- The city is named by a Scotch settler for the ancient capital of the Scottish Highlands.

Islamorada, Monroe County -- It is Spanish for "purple island."

Jacksonville Image

- J -

Jacksonville,Duval County -- Two of the Spanish names for the area can be translated as "pass of San Nicolas." It was also called "the place where the cows cross" by the Timucuan Indians. Left: the St. John's River and Bridge in the early 1900's.

Jasper, Hamilton County -- This name comes from Sgt. William Jasper, a Revolutionary War hero who rescued the American flag during the British assault on Ft. Sullivan, now Ft. Moultrie.

- K -

Key West, Monroe County -- It is the westernmost island extending from the Florida peninsula. Key West was originally called Bone Island by the early Spanish explorers because they found large quantities of human bones there. Right: the Estela Cigar Store in Key West, 1940.

Key West Image
- L -

LaBelle, Hendry County -- LaBelle was named by Capt. Francis Ausbury Hendry for his two daughters, Laura and Belle.

Lacoochee, Pasco County -- Lacoochee is a shortened form of the river's name, Withlacoochee, which runs past the town.

Lake Butler, Union County -- Colonel Robert Butler received the surrender of East Florida from the Spanish.

Lake City, Columbia County -- The town was renamed by the state Legislature from "Alligator" to Lake City because of the myriad of lakes that surround the area.

Lakeland Image Lakeland, Polk County -- Lakeland is named so because of the 19 lakes within city limits. Left: a Fourth of July parade at the 300 block of Main Street, ca. 1923.

Largo, Pinellas County -- Largo is the Spanish word for "big" or "long." Lake Largo is nearby.

Longboat Key, Sarasota County -- The exact origin of this name has been lost, but a longboat is the largest boat carried by a merchant sailing vessel.

- M -

Macclenny, Baker County -- The town is named after H.C. Macclenny, who owned large tracts of land in the vicinity.

MacDill A.F.B., Hillsborough County -- The base is named in honor of Col. Leslie MacDill, who was killed in an air crash near Washington, D.C.

Maderia Beach, Pinellas County -- Maderia Beach is named for Portugal's wine producing island, Maderia, located just off the cost of Africa. The word means "wood."

Madison, Madison County -- Madison was first called Hickstown, after Seminole Chief John Hicks. Then it became known as Newton. But the mail kept coming addressed to Madison C.H. (meaning the courthouse of Madison Co.), so the locals just dropped the C.H. and used Madison as the town's name. Right: the Madison Post Office and staff, ca. 1920. Madison Image

Marianna, Jackson County -- Marianna is named for the daughters of the original owners of the site, the Beveridges.

Masaryktown, Hernando County -- Named after the first president of Czechoslovakia, Masarytown was founded by the editor of a Czech newspaper in New York.

Mayo, Lafayette County -- This town is named after James Mayo, a colonel who had been in charge of the Confederate Army. He delivered a speech in the area one Fourth of July and the settlers were so impressed by Mayo that they named their community after him.

Miami Image Miami, Dade County -- The name comes from Mayaimi (a lake - now Lake Okeechobee) which means "very large." Left: Guests of the Royal Palm Hotel in Miami go for a swim in the pool, ca. 1898.

Micanopy, Alachua County -- Head chief of the Seminoles in the Seminole War; Micanopy means "head chief."

Miccosukee, Leon County -- From Hitchiti "miki" (chief) and "suki" (hogs), Miccosukee means "chiefs of the hog clan."

Monticello, Jefferson County -- This Jefferson County city is named for the historic Virginia home of, you guessed it, Thomas Jefferson.

Moore Haven, Glades County -- This one was named for its founder, James A. Moore.

- N -

Naples, ollier County -- The city is named after Naples, Italy.

- O -

Ocala, Marion County -- The literal meaning of this Indian word is "heavily clouded," perhaps beyond discovery.

Opa Locka, Dade County -- The name refers to a hammock located within the present limits of the city. The source is the Muskogee words "opilwa" (swamp) and "lako" (big), though the usual combination is "opillakpo." Right: the Opa Locka Administration Building in 1930.

Opa-locka is the conventional spelling used by city government and other local agencies.

Opa Locka Image

Orlando, Orange County -- There are several different versions to the origin of this city's name. The official story is that it is named in honor of Orlando Reeves. Reeves was on sentinel duty for a camping party. During the night, an Indian attempted to penetrate the camp, but Reeves saw him and fired on him, but not before the Indian shot an arrow killing Reeves.

- P -

Palatka, Putnam County -- Its name is derived from the Muskogee word "pilotaikita" which means "ferry," "ford" or "crossing." Palatka was a major trading post on the St. Johns River.

Panama City Image Panama City, Bay County -- George West, the original developer of the town, named it Panama City because it is in a direct line between Chicago and Panama City, Panama. Left: bicyclists on Panama City Beach in the early 1900's

Panasoffkee, Sumter County -- The word is derived from the Muskogee "pani" (valley) and "sufki" (deep), creating "deep valley."

Pass-a-Grille Beach, Pinellas County -- The name referred to the practice of fishermen, who would stop here on their way crossing over the island to cook or grill their meals.

Pensacola, Escambia County -- Most likely, the name is a derivations of Pansfalaya, an Indian tribe. The Choctaw called them the "long-haired people."

Ponte Vedra, St. Johns County -- This is named for the city in Spain.

Punta Gorda, Charlotte County -- The Spanish words for "wide point" or "fat point" refer to the arm of land jutting into Charlotte Bay near the city of Punta Gorda.

MORE CITY NAMES                         TOP OF PAGE